Uranium(III) bromide, Uranium tribromide
|Description||red hygroscopic crystals|
1. REGISTRY NUMBERS AND INVENTORY
|NIH PubChem CID||139470|
|Melting point, °C||727|
3. HAZARDS AND PROTECTION
Storage: Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
Handling: All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Respirators : Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Small Spills/Leaks: Do not touch damaged packages or spilled material. Cover liquid spill with sand, earth or other noncombustible absorbent material. Cover powder spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading. Contact radiation safety officer.
Stability : No data.
Firefighting: Presence of radioactive material will not influence the fire control processes and should not influence selection of techniques.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam.
Large Fires: Water spray, fog (flooding amounts).
Fire Potential: May burn but does not ignite readily.
5. HEALTH AND EXPOSURES EFFECTS
- Ingestion, Skin & Eyes: See Inhalation.
- Inhalation: Minimal risk if packaging remains intact. Package damage can result in a measurable release of radiation but the risk is still low.
- Ingestion: Medical problems take priority over radiological concerns. Use first aid treatment according to the nature of the injury. Do not delay care and transport of a seriously injured person.
- Inhalation: Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult. See Ingestion.
- Skin: Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. See Ingestion.
- Eyes: Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. See Ingestion.
|USCG CHRIS Code||RAD|
7. OTHER INFORMATION
IBI Labs assumes that recipients of this material have developed internal safety procedures, which guard against accidental exposure to radioactive and toxic materials, contamination of the laboratory environment, or criticality. IBI Labs further expects that personnel who handle radioactive materials have been thoroughly trained in the safety procedures developed by and for their Laboratory. The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them, and should make independent judgment of the suitability and accuracy of this information. This statement is not intended to provide comprehensive instruction in developing an appropriate safety program and does not include all regulatory guidelines. This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.
Creation Date: April 18, 2016 Revision Date: October 15, 2020