Safety Data Sheet
Revision Date 11/03/2021
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCTS AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Chemical Name: Uranium,4-pentanedionato-O,O’)-, (Uranium Acetylacetonate)
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name: Uranium Acetylacetonate 99.99%
Common Names/Synonyms: Uranium,4-pentanedionato-O,O’)-,SA-8-11”11”1’1”’1’1”’.
Molecular Formula: C20H32O8U+8
Molecular Weight: 638.5g/mol
CAS Number: 65167-03-3
EC Number: 265-498-6
Related Compounds with Annotation: Zirconium acetyl acetonate, Hafnium; pentane-2,4-dione, Tetrakis(pentane-2,4-dionato-O-O’) uranium.
Parent Compound: Acetylacetonate.
3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Acute Health Effects: Toxic by inhalation and if swallowed, eyes, and respiratory tracts.
Chronic Health Effects: Prolonged exposure to dust at above regulatory levels may increase likelihood of radiation induced diseases because of alpha emission and radon gas. May increase risk of cancer of the skin and lymphatic system.
- Toxic by inhalation and if swallowed.
- Irritating to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract.
- May cause cancer.
Primary Routes of Exposure: Ingestion and inhalation.
Ingestion: Toxic if swallowed.
- Toxic by inhalation.
- Irritating to the nose mucous membranes and respiratory tract.
Skin and Eye Contact: Causes slight to mild irritation of the eyes.
4. FIRST AID MEASURES
- Immediately flush eyes with copious amounts of water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Get immediate medical attention.
- Wash the affected area with water.
- Remove contaminated clothes.
- Seek medical assistance if irritation persists.
- Move the victim to an area with fresh air.
- Closely monitor the victim for signs of respiratory problems, such as difficulty in breathing, coughing, wheezing, or pain. In such cases seek medical assistance.
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Give the victim water (only if conscious).
- Induce vomiting only if directed by medical personnel.
Flash Point: Not applicable.
Auto ignition Temperature: None.
Explosion Limits: None
Extinguishing Medium: Not applicable.
Special Firefighting Procedures: None.
Accidental Release Measures
Small spills can be mixed with vermiculite or sodium carbonate and swept up.
5. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Precautions for Safe Handling:
- Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothing.
- When using do not eat, drink, or smoke.
- Avoid Breathing Dust.
- Wash thoroughly after handling.
- Use only with adequate ventilation.
Conditions for Safe Storage:
- Store in radioactive materials area.
- Keep storage container tightly closed.
- Store separately from incompatible materials.
- Observe all federal, state, and local regulations regarding storage of this substance.
6. EXPOSURE CONTROLS AND PERSONAL PROTECTION
- Always wear approved safety glasses when handling a chemical substance in the laboratory.
- Wear protective clothing and gloves.
- This material may form a fine dust.
- If possible, handle the material in an efficient fume hood.
- A respirator should be worn if ventilation is not available. (The use of respirators requires a Respirator Protection Program to be in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.134.).
7. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Odor: No data available.
Odor Threshold: No data available.
pH: No data available.
Melting point: No data available.
Freezing Point: No data available.
Evaporation Rate: No data available.
Flammability: No data available.
Explosive Limits: No data available.
Vapor Pressure: No data available.
Vapor Density: No data available.
Relative Density: No data available.
Solubility: Water Solubility.
Partition Coefficient: No data available.
Auto-Ignition Temperature: No data available.
8. STABILITY, REACTIVITY AND TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION
- Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
- No hazardous polymerization, incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
Likely Routes of Exposure: Inhalation, ingestions, skin and eye contact.
CARCINOGEN STATUS: Carcinogen (as U)
9. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Environmental Impact Rating (0-4): No data available.
Acute Aquatic Toxicity: No data available.
Degradability: No data available.
Log Bioconcentration Factor (BCF): No data available.
Log Octanol/water partition coefficient: No data available.
10. DISPOSAL INFORMATION
Observe all federal, state, and local regulations when disposing of this substance.
11. TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
The U.S. Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR Parts 100- 185), the International Air Transportation Association (IATA), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Maritime Organization (IMDG) are all factored into the classification and transport of material.
Proper Shipping Name:
UN/ID Number: To be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Classification of substances with multiple hazards must be determined in accordance with the criteria presented in the regulations mentioned above. Due to the various quantities and combinations of materials being shipped at one time, the information above must be determined based on the characteristics of the specific shipment.
12. REGULATORY INFORMATION
TSCA STATUS: Y
CERCLA SECTION 103 (40 CFR 302.4): N
SARA SECTION 302 (40 CFR 355.30): N
SARA SECTION 304 (40 CFR 355.40): N
SARA SECTION 313 (40 CFR 372.65): N OSHA PROCESS SAFETY (29 CFR 1910.119): N
CALIFORNIA PREPOSITION 65: N
SARA HAZARD CATEGORIES, SARA SECTIONS 311/312 (40 CFR 370.21)
ACUTE HAZARD: Y
CHRONIC HAZARD: Y
FIRE HAZARD: N
REACTIVITY HAZARD: N
SUDDEN RELEASE HAZARD: N
13. OTHER INFORMATION
Copyright 2016 IBI Labs. License granted to make unlimited paper copies for internal use only.
IBI Labs expects that recipients of their material are in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1200(h) which requires employers to provide employees with effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.
The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them and should make independent judgement of the suitability and accuracy of this information. IBI Labs will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of any kind whatsoever resulting from the use of the information provided in this Safety Data Sheet. IBI Labs expressly includes all warranties, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.
Revision Date 11/03/2021