Safety Data Sheet
Revision Date 11/01/2021
Trade name: Potassium Uranyl Fluoride
UN (DOT): UN2910
Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against: No further relevant information available.
Application of the substance and the preparation: Laboratory chemicals.
Details of the supplier of the safety data sheet
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Description: Green-yellow monoclinic crystals.
Uses: Has been used in x-ray work because of its fluorescence under these rays.
3. HAZARDS AND PROTECTION
- Keep in a cool, dry, dark location, in a tightly sealed container or cylinder.
- Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources, and untrained individuals.
- Secure and label area.
- Protect containers and cylinders from physical damage.
- All chemicals should be considered hazardous.
- Avoid direct physical contact.
- Use appropriate, approved safety equipment.
- Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container.
- Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing, and goggles.
Respirators: Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Small spills and leaks:
- Do not touch damaged packages or spilled material.
- Cover liquid spill with sand, earth, or other noncombustible absorbent material.
- Cover powder spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading.
- Contact radiation safety officer.
Stability: No data available.
Presence of radioactive material will not influence the fire control processes and should not influence selection of techniques.
Small fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or regular foam.
Large fires: Water spray, fog (flooding amounts).
Fire potential: May burn but does not ignite readily.
Ingestion, skin, and eyes: See inhalation.
- Minimal risk if packaging remains intact.
- Package damage can result in a measurable release of radiation, but the risk is still low.
General protective and hygienic measures:
- Keep away from foodstuffs, beverages, and feed.
- Immediately remove all soiled and contaminated clothing.
- Wash hands before breaks and at the end of work.
- Store protective clothing separately.
- Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Avoid contact with the eyes and skin.
- In case of brief exposure or low pollution use respiratory filter device.
- In case of intensive or longer exposure use respiratory protective device that is independent of circulating air.
Protection of hands:
- Protective gloves: The glove material must be impermeable and resistant to the product, the substance, and the preparation. Due to missing tests no recommendation to the glove material can be given for the product, the preparation, and the chemical mixture. Selection of the glove material on consideration of the penetration times, rates of diffusion and the degradation
- Material of gloves: The selection of the suitable gloves does not only depend on the material, but also on further marks of quality and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Penetration time of glove material: The exact break through time must be found out by the manufacturer of the protective gloves and must be observed.
Eye protection: Tightly sealed goggles
- Immediately remove any clothing soiled by the product.
- Symptoms of poisoning may even occur after several hours.
- Therefore, medical observation for at least 48 hours after the accident.
- Remove breathing apparatus only after contaminated clothing have been completely removed.
- In case of irregular breathing or respiratory arrest provide artificial respiration
Skin and eyes:
- Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
- See Ingestion.
- Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing.
- Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
- See Ingestion.
- Medical problems take priority over radiological concerns.
- Use first aid treatment according to the nature of the injury.
- Do not delay care and transport of a seriously injured person.
6. WASTE TREATMENT METHODS
- Must not be disposed of together with household garbage.
- Do not allow product to reach sewage system.
Recommendation: Disposal must be made according to official regulations.
Recommended cleansing agent: Water, if necessary, with cleansing agents.
DOT, ADR, IMDG, IATA: UN2910
UN proper shipping name
DOT: Radioactive material, excepted package-limited quantity of material
ADR; 2910 Radioactive material, excepted package-limited quantity of material
IMDG, IATA: RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL, EXCEPTED PACKAGE – LIMITED QUANTITY OF MATERIAL
Classification of substances with multiple hazards must be determined in accordance with the criteria presented in the regulations mentioned above. Due to the various quantities and combinations of materials being shipped at one time, the information above must be determined based on the characteristics of the specific shipment.
8. OTHER IFORMATION
Copyright 2014 IBI Labs. License granted to make unlimited paper copies for internal use only.
IBI Labs expects that recipients of their material are in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1200(h) which requires employers to provide employees with effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.
The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them and should make independent judgement of the suitability and accuracy of this information. IBI Labs will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of any kind whatsoever resulting from the use of the information provided in this Safety Data Sheet. IBI Labs expressly includes all warranties, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.
Revision Date 11/01/2021