Revision Date: 01/31/2023
Name: Thorium sodium citrate
Synonyms: 1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-, sodium thorium salt.
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. REGISTRY NUMBERS AND INVENTORIES, PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
CAS RN: [73909-14-5]
NIH PubChem CID: 3056942
RTECS Class: Other
UN (DOT): 2910
- Formula Mass: 470.04
- Stability: Stable under recommended storage conditions
3. HAZARDS AND PROTECTION
- Keep in a cool, dry, dark location, in a tightly sealed container or cylinder.
- Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources, and untrained individuals.
- Secure and label area.
- Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
- All chemicals should be considered hazardous.
- Avoid direct physical contact.
- Use appropriate approved safety equipment.
- Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container.
- Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing, and goggles.
Respirators: Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Small spills and leaks:
- Do not touch damaged packages or spilled material.
- Cover liquid spill with sand, earth, or other noncombustible absorbent material.
- Cover powder spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading.
- Contact radiation safety officer.
Presence of radioactive material will not influence the fire control processes and should not influence selection of techniques.
- Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam.
- Large Fires: Water spray, fog (flooding amounts).
Fire potential: May burn but does not ignite readily.
Ingestion, skin, and eyes: See inhalation.
- Minimal risk if packaging remains intact.
- Package damage can result in a measurable release of radiation, but the risk is still low.
General advice: In the case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately.
- Apply artificial respiration if patient is not breathing.
- Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
- See Ingestion.
Skin and eyes:
- Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
- See Ingestion.
- Medical problems take priority over radiological concerns.
- Use first aid treatment according to the nature of the injury.
- Do not delay care and transport of a seriously injured person.
6. EXPOSURE CONTROLS AND GENERAL PROTECTION
Engineering measures: Ensure adequate ventilation.
Personal Protective Equipment
Respiratory protection: Breathing apparatus only if aerosol or dust is formed.
Hand protection: PVC or other plastic material gloves
Skin and body protection: Usual safety precautions while handling the product will provide adequate protection against this potential effect.
Eye protection: Safety glasses with side-shields
Hygiene measures: Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice.
7. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Waste from residues and unused products: Waste disposal must be in accordance with appropriate Federal, State, and local regulations. This product, if unaltered by use, may be disposed of by treatment at a permitted facility or as advised by your local hazardous waste regulatory authority. Residue from fires extinguished with this material may be hazardous.
Contaminated packaging: Do not re-use empty containers.
UN Number: 2910
Response Guide: 161
Hazard Class: 7
USCG CHRIS Code: RAD
9. OTHER INFORMATION
IBI Labs expects that recipients of their material are in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1200(h) which requires employers to provide employees with effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.
The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them and should make independent judgement of the suitability and accuracy of this information. IBI Labs will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of any kind whatsoever resulting from the use of the information provided in this Safety Data Sheet. IBI Labs expressly includes all warranties, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.