Safety Data Sheet
Revision Date 09/30/2021
Trade Name: Thorium Tetra Chloride
CAS Number: 10026-89-1
EC number: 233-056-1
Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
No further relevant information available.
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Classification of the substance or mixture
GHS06 Skull and crossbones
H301 Toxic if swallowed.
H331 Toxic if inhaled.
GHS08 Health hazard
H373 May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
Classification according to Directive 67/548/EEC or Directive 1999/45/EC:
Very toxic by inhalation and if swallowed.
Danger of cumulative effects.
Information concerning hazards for human and environment: Not Applicable.
Labelling according to EU guidelines: The product has been classified and marked in accordance with directives on hazardous materials.
Code letter and hazard designation of product: Very toxic
- Very toxic by inhalation and if swallowed.
- Danger of cumulative effects.
- Keep away from living quarters.
- Keep container in a well-ventilated place.
- When using do not eat, drink, or smoke.
- Wear suitable protective clothing.
NFPA ratings (scale 0 – 4):
Health = 4
Fire = 0
Reactivity = 0
HMIS-ratings (scale 0 – 4):
Health = 4
Fire = 0
Reactivity = 0
Results of PBT and vPvB assessment:
PBT- Not Applicable.
vPvB- Not Applicable.
3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical characterization: Substances
CAS No. Description: 10026-08-1 Thorium Tetra Chloride
EC number: 233-056-1
4. FIRST AID MEASURES
Description of first aid measures
- Immediately remove any clothing soiled by the product.
- Remove breathing apparatus only after contaminated clothing have been completely removed.
- In case of irregular breathing or respiratory arrest, provide artificial respiration.
- Supply fresh air or oxygen.
- Call for doctor.
- In case of unconsciousness, place patient stably inside position for transportation.
After skin contact: Immediately wash with water and soap, and rinse thoroughly.
After eye contact:
- Rinse opened eye for several minutes under running water.
- Then consult a doctor.
- Do not induce vomiting.
- Call for medical help immediately.
Information for doctor:
Most important symptoms and effects, both acute and delayed: No further relevant information available.
Indication of any immediate medical attention and special treatment needed: No further relevant information available.
5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES
- Suitable extinguishing agents: CO2, extinguishing powder, or water spray.
- Fight larger fires with water spray or alcohol resistant foam.
Special hazards arising from the substance or mixture: No further relevant information available.
6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal precautions, protective equipment, and emergency procedures: Not required.
Environmental precautions: Do not allow to enter sewers/ surface or ground water.
Methods and material for containment and cleaning up:
- Dispose contaminated material as waste according to item 13.
- Ensure adequate ventilation.
Reference to other sections:
- See Section 7 for information on safe handling.
- See Section 8 for information on personal protection equipment.
- See Section 13 for disposal information.
7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Precautions for safe handling:
- Thorough dedusting.
- Ensure good ventilation/exhaustion at the workplace.
- Open and handle receptacle with care.
Information about protection against explosions and fires: Keep respiratory protective device available.
Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
Storage: Keep receptacle tightly sealed.
Specific end use(s): No further relevant information available.
8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS AND PERSONAL PROTECTION
Additional information about design of technical systems: No further data; see item 7.
Components with limit values that require monitoring at the workplace: Not required.
Additional information: The lists that were valid during the creation were used as basis.
- Keep away from foodstuffs, beverages, and feed.
- Immediately remove all soiled and contaminated clothing.
- Wash hands before breaks and at the end of work.
- Store protective clothing separately.
- In case of brief exposure or low pollution, use respiratory filter device.
- In case of intensive or longer exposure, use respiratory protective device that is independent of circulating air.
Protection of hands:
- The glove material must be impermeable and resistant to the product/ the substance/ the preparation.
- Due to missing tests no recommendation to the glove material can be given for the product/ the preparation/ the chemical mixture.
- Selection of the glove material on consideration of the penetration times, rates of diffusion, and the degradation
Material of gloves: The selection of the suitable gloves does not only depend on the material, but also on further marks of quality and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Penetration time of glove material: The exact break through time must be found out by the manufacturer of the protective gloves and has to be observed.
Eye protection: Not required.
9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Color: Grey-white hexagonal needles
Odor threshold: Not determined.
pH-value: Not applicable.
Change in condition
Melting point/Melting range: Undetermined.
Boiling point/Boiling range: Undetermined.
Flash point: Not applicable.
Flammability (solid, gaseous): Product is not flammable.
Decomposition temperature: Not determined.
Auto igniting: Not determined.
Danger of explosion: Product does not present an explosion hazard.
Lower: Not determined.
Upper: Not determined.
Vapor pressure: Not applicable.37.0
Density: Not determined.
Relative density: Not determined.
Vapor density: Not applicable.
Evaporation rate: Not applicable.
Solubility in/Miscibility with
Partition coefficient (n-octanol/water): Not determined.
Dynamic: Not applicable.
Kinematic: Not applicable.
Organic solvents: 0.0 %
Solids content: 100.0 %
Other information: No further relevant information available.
Thermal decomposition and conditions to be avoided: No decomposition if used according to specifications.
Possibility of hazardous reactions: No dangerous reactions known.
Conditions to avoid: No further relevant information available.
Incompatible materials: No further relevant information available.
Hazardous decomposition products: No dangerous decomposition products known.
11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Primary irritant effect:
- Skin: No irritant effect.
- Eyes: No irritating effect.
- Sensitization: No sensitizing effects known.
Additional toxicological information
IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer): Substance is not listed.
NTP (National Toxicology Program): Substance is not listed.
12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Aquatic toxicity: No further relevant information available.
Persistence and degradability: No further relevant information available.
Behavior in environmental systems
Bioaccumulate potential: No further relevant information available.37.0
Mobility in soil: No further relevant information available.
Additional ecological information
- Water hazard class 2 (Self-assessment): hazardous for water.
- Do not allow product to reach ground water, water course, or sewage system.
- Danger to drinking water if even small quantities leak into the ground.
Results of PBT and vPvB assessment
PBT: Not applicable.
vPvB: Not applicable.
Other adverse effects: No further relevant information available.
13. WASTE TREATMENT METHODS
- Must not be disposed of together with household garbage.
- Do not allow product to reach sewage system.
- Disposal must be made according to official regulations.
- Recommended cleansing agent: Water, if necessary, with cleansing agents.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR Parts 100-185), the International Air Transportation Association (IATA), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Maritime Organization (IMDG) are all factored into the classification and transport of material.
Proper Shipping Name:
UN/ID Number: To be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Classification of substances with multiple hazards must be determined in accordance with the criteria presented in the regulations mentioned above. Due to the various quantities/combinations of materials being shipped at one time, the information above must be determined based on the characteristics of the specific shipment.
15. SAFETY, HEALTH, AND EVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS AND LEGISLATION SPECIFIC FOR THE SUBSTANCE OR MIXTURE
Section 355 (extremely hazardous substances): Substance is not listed.
Section 313 (Specific toxic chemical listings): Substance is not listed.
TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act): Substance is not listed.
Chemicals known to cause cancer: Substance is not listed.
Chemicals known to cause reproductive toxicity for females: Substance is not listed.
Chemicals known to cause reproductive toxicity for males: Substance is not listed.
Chemicals known to cause developmental toxicity: Substance is not listed.
EPA (Environmental Protection Agency): Substance is not listed.
TLV (Threshold Limit Value established by ACGIH): Substance is not listed.
NIOSH-Ca (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health): Substance is not listed.
OSHA-Ca (Occupational Safety & Health Administration): Substance is not listed.
Product related hazard information
The product has been classified and marked in accordance with directives on hazardous materials.
Hazard symbols: Very toxic
Chemical safety assessment
A Chemical Safety Assessment has not been carried out.
This information is based on our present knowledge. However, this shall not constitute a guarantee for any specific product features and shall not establish a legally valid contractual relationship.
Abbreviations and acronyms
ADR: Accord européen sur le transport des marchandises dangereuses par Route (European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road).
IMDG: International Maritime Code for Dangerous Goods.
DOT: US Department of Transportation.
IATA: International Air Transport Association.
ACGIH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.
EINECS: European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances.
CAS: Chemical Abstracts Service (division of the American Chemical Society).
NFPA: National Fire Protection Association (USA).
HMIS: Hazardous Materials Identification System (USA).
Copyright IBI Labs. License granted to make unlimited paper copies for internal use only.
The above information is believed to be correct, but does not purport to be all inclusive, and shall be used only as a guide. The information in this document is based on the present state of our knowledge and is applicable to the product in regard to appropriate safety precautions. It does not represent any guarantee of the properties of the product. IBI Labs and its Affiliates shall not be held liable for any damage resulting from handling, or from contact with the above product.
Revision Date 09/30/2021