Safety Data Sheet
1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
Chemical Name: Thorium Perchlorate, 99%
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Product Number: 16045-17-3
CAS Registry Number: 16045-17-3
Chemical Family: Metal perchlorate salt
Emergency Overview: Irritating to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. May be harmful if swallowed. May affect thyroid, and kidney functions.
3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Primary Routes of Exposure: Ingestion
Eye Contact: Causes moderate irritation of the eyes.
Skin Contact: Causes moderate irritation of the skin.
Inhalation: Irritating to the nose, mucous membranes, and respiratory tract.
- No specific information is available on the physiological effects of ingestion.
- May cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, and vomiting.
Acute Health Effects: Irritating to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract.
Chronic Health Effects:
- Perchlorates reversibly inhibit thyroid iodine uptake.
- Kidney function may be affected.
4. FIRST AID MEASURES
General Advice: Consult a physician, show this safety data sheet to the doctor in attendance, and move out of dangerous area.
- Immediately flush the eyes with copious amounts of water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- A victim may need assistance in keeping their eye lids open.
- Get immediate medical attention.
- Wash the affected area with water.
- Remove contaminated clothes if necessary.
- Seek medical assistance if irritation persists.
- Remove the victim to fresh air.
- Closely monitor the victim for signs of respiratory problems, such as difficulty in breathing, coughing, wheezing, or pain. In such cases seek immediate medical assistance.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Keep the victim calm.
- Give the victim water (only if conscious).
- Induce vomiting only if directed by medical personnel.
5. FIREFIGHTING MEASURES
Flash Point: No data.
Auto ignition Temperature: No data.
Explosion Limits: No data.
Extinguishing Medium: Carbon dioxide or dry powder.
Special Firefighting Procedures:
- Spray closed containers with water until fire is out.
- Avoid contact with combustible material.
- Firefighters should be equipped with a NIOSH approved self-contained breathing apparatus.
Hazardous Combustion and Decomposition Products: If involved in a fire, this material may emit corrosive hydrogen chloride fumes.
Unusual Fire or Explosion Hazards:
- Releases oxygen on heating.
- May decompose explosively under fire fighting conditions.
- Do not mix with combustibles.
6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal precautions, protective equipment, and emergency procedures:
- Use personal protective equipment.
- Avoid dust formation.
- Avoid breathing vapors, mist, or gas.
- Ensure adequate ventilation.
- Evacuate personnel to safe areas.
- Avoid breathing dust.
- For personal protection see section 8.
- Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so.
- Do not let product enter drains.
- Discharge into the environment must be avoided.
Methods and materials for containment and cleaning up:
- Sweep up and shovel.
- Contain spillage, and then collect with an electrically protected vacuum cleaner or by wet brushing and place in container for disposal according to local regulations (see section 13).
- Keep in suitable, closed containers for disposal.
7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities: Store in a tightly sealed container in a cool dry place away from combustible and flammable materials. If the container is left open, salt may adsorb water from the atmosphere.
Precautions for safe handling:
- Avoid contact with skin and eyes and the formation of dust and aerosols.
- Provide appropriate exhaust ventilation at places where dust is formed.
- Keep away from sources of ignition.
- Keep away from heat and sources of ignition.
8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS AND PERSONAL PROTECTION
Eye Protection: Always wear approved safety glasses when handling a chemical substance in the laboratory.
Skin Protection: Wear protective clothing and gloves.
Ventilation: If possible, handle the material in an efficient fume hood.
Respirator: If ventilation is not available a respirator should be worn. The use of respirators requires a Respirator Protection Program must follow 29 CFR 1910.134.
Additional Protection: No additional protection required.
9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Color and Form: White powder.
Molecular Weight: 629.94
Melting and Boiling Point: Decomposes.
Vapor Pressure: Not applicable.
Specific Gravity: No data.
Solubility in Water: Soluble
10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
Hazardous Polymerization: No hazardous polymerization.
Conditions to Avoid: Any contact with combustible matter.
Incompatibility: Reducing agents, organic matter, active metals, phosphorus, sulfur, hydrazine, hydroxylamine, strong acids.
Decomposition Products: Oxygen, Sodium oxide, hydrogen chloride.
11. TOXICOLOGICAL AND ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
RTECS Data: Intraperitoneal (mouse); LD50: 1150 mg/kg.
Carcinogenic Effects: No data available.
Mutagenic Effects: No data available.
Tetratogenic Effects: No data available.
Ecological Information: No data available.
12. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Disposal: Dispose of according to local, state, and federal regulations.
Waste treatment methods
Product: Contact a licensed professional waste disposal service to dispose of this material. After use follow local procedures for radioactive waste. Consult local, state, and federal regulations on the disposal of radioactive waste. Observe all federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
Contaminated packaging: Dispose of as special waste in compliance with local and national regulations.
Shipping Name (CFR): Thorium perchlorate.
Hazard Class (CFR): 5.1
Additional Hazard Class (CFR): NA
Packaging Group (CFR): II
UN ID Number (CFR): UN# 2910
Shipping Name (IATA): Thorium perchlorate
Hazard Class (IATA): 5.1
Additional Hazard Class (IATA): NA
Packaging Group (IATA): II
UN ID Number (IATA): UN# 2910
14. REGULATORY INFORMATION
TSCA: Not listed in the TSCA inventory.
SARA (Title 313): Title compound not listed.
Second Ingredient: None
Third Ingredient: None
15. OTHER INFORMATION
Copyright 2014 IBI Labs. License granted to make unlimited paper copies for internal use only.
IBI Labs expects that recipients of their material are in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1200(h) which requires employers to provide employees with effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.
The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them and should make independent judgement of the suitability and accuracy of this information. IBI Labs will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of any kind whatsoever resulting from the use of the information provided in this Safety Data Sheet. IBI Labs expressly includes all warranties, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.
Revision Date 10/13/2021