Safety Data Sheet
Revision Date 10/14/2021
1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Product name: Thorium Silicide
Description: Tetragonal crystals.
Identified uses: Laboratory chemicals, Manufacture of substances.
3495 N. Dixie Hwy. Unit # 8
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Tel: 561-826-0061 Fax: 561-892-8450
Emergency Telephone Numbers
USA & Canada contact number: 1-800-535-5053
International contact number: 1-352-323-3500
2. REGISTRY NUMBERS AND INVENORIES
NIH PubChem CID: 6336980
EC (EINECS/ELINCS): 235-079-2
UN (DOT): 2910
Beilstein/Gmelin: 33392 (G)
Canada DSL/NDSL: NDSL
US TSCA: Listed
Korea ECL: Listed
Formula mass: 288.21
Melting point °C: 1850
Density: 7.63 g/cm3 (0 °C)
3. HAZARDS AND PROTECTION
- Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder.
- Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources, and untrained individuals.
- Secure and label area.
- Protect containers and cylinders from physical damage.
- All chemicals should be considered hazardous.
- Avoid direct physical contact.
- Use appropriate, approved safety equipment.
- Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container.
Handling: Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing, and goggles.
Respirators: Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Small spills and leaks:
- Do not touch damaged packages or spilled material.
- Cover liquid spill with sand, earth, or other noncombustible absorbent material.
- Cover powder spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading.
- Contact radiation safety officer.
Stability: No data available.
4. EXPOSURE CONTROLS AND PERSONAL PROTECTION
Additional information about design of technical systems: No further data; see item 7.
Components with limit values that require monitoring at the workplace: Not required.
Additional information: The lists that were valid during the creation were used as basis.
- Keep away from foodstuffs, beverages, and feed.
- Immediately remove all soiled and contaminated clothing.
- Wash hands before breaks and at the end of work.
- Store protective clothing separately.
- In case of brief exposure or low pollution, use respiratory filter device.
- In case of intensive or longer exposure, use respiratory protective device that is independent of circulating air.
Protection of hands:
- The glove material must be impermeable and resistant to the product/ the substance/ the preparation.
- Due to missing tests no recommendation to the glove material can be given for the product/ the preparation/ the chemical mixture.
- Selection of the glove material on consideration of the penetration times, rates of diffusion, and the degradation
Material of gloves: The selection of the suitable gloves does not only depend on the material, but also on further marks of quality and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Penetration time of glove material: The exact break through time must be found out by the manufacturer of the protective gloves and must be observed.
Eye protection: Not required.
Presence of radioactive material will not influence the fire control processes and should not influence selection of
- Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or regular foam.
- Large Fires: Water spray, fog (flooding amounts).
Fire potential: May burn but does not ignite readily.
Ingestion, skin, and eyes: See inhalation.
- Minimal risk if packaging remains intact.
- Package damage can result in a measurable release of radiation, but the risk is still low.
First aid measures
- Consult a physician.
- Show this safety data sheet to the doctor in attendance.
- Move out of dangerous area.
- Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing.
- Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
- See Ingestion.
Skin and eyes:
- Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
- See Ingestion.
- Medical problems take priority over radiological concerns.
- Use first aid treatment according to the nature of the injury.
- Do not delay care and transport of a seriously injured person.
7. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal precautions, protective equipment, and emergency procedures:
- Wear respiratory protection.
- Avoid dust formation, breathing vapors, breathing dust, mist, or gas.
- Ensure adequate ventilation.
- Evacuate personnel to safe areas.
- For personal protection see section 8.
- Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so.
- Do not let product enter drains.
Methods and materials for containment and cleaning up:
- Pick up and arrange disposal without creating dust.
- Sweep up and shovel.
- Keep in suitable, closed containers for disposal.
8. WASTE TREATMENT METHODS
- Must not be disposed of together with household garbage.
- Do not allow product to reach sewage system.
- Disposal must be made according to official regulations.
- Recommended cleansing agent: Water, if necessary, with cleansing agents.
UN Number: 2910
Response guide: 161
Hazards class: 7
USCG CHRIS Code: RAD
10. OTHER INFORMATION
Copyright 2014 IBI Labs. License granted to make unlimited paper copies for internal use only.
IBI Labs expects that recipients of their material are in compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1200(h) which requires employers to provide employees with effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.
The information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith and believed to be correct as of the revision date. However, recipients of this material should use this information only as a supplement to other information gathered by them and should make independent judgement of the suitability and accuracy of this information. IBI Labs will not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to, loss of any kind whatsoever resulting from the use of the information provided in this Safety Data Sheet. IBI Labs expressly includes all warranties, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
This information is furnished without warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or process, is the responsibility of the user.
Revision Date 10/14/2021